Friday, June 02, 2017

2017 Black Fork Gravel Grind: Just not my day

Have you ever had one of those days where nothing went as you had hoped?  Well for me that was this years Black Fork Gravel Grind. Last year the race was 30 miles and I finished second overall.  This year they added a 23 and 48 mile route, naturally I was planning on doing the 48.  Since I was very familiar with the roads and had done some training over the winter on them while scouting out the Funk Bottoms Gravel course which this year travels on a few of the same roads.

My mileage and training have been low this year compared to Mr. BigRing normal standards, but somehow I had managed to get my mileage goal for the month of April. Along with a few runs I felt like my fitness was coming along slowly for the spring but still headed in the right direction. I did one last quick spin on some of the course on Friday, the roads were in great shape and I even set a Strava KOM.

The weather forecast for race day did not look good with heavy thunderstorms starting Friday and continuing through Saturday night. Friday night there was heavy rain but it had stopped and it seemed like we should be able to start dry but get into some rain later. I did my usual race day routine of getting my bottles ready with bottle of my favorite mixture of Hammer Nutrition Orange-Vanilla Perpetuem and Lemon-Lime HEED . Since the race starts 5 miles from the cabin I figured that would make a great warm and easy spin in the morning.  I got dressed and finished my bottle of Fully Charged grabbed my bike and head down the stairs  to the race.

When I say head down the stairs I literally meant head down the stairs. Walking across the wet wood deck with my Sidi shoes on I slipped and somehow did something resembling an Irish Jig falling down the stairs before it turned into rolling down the stairs.  In the process I had twisted my left ankle bad and smashed my left shin into the stairs.  I'm not sure which pain was worse my leg which felt like it was broken or my ankle. I walked it off for a few minutes and hopped on my bike for the ride to the start.  Normal riding didn't bother my ankle too bad but putting pressure while climbing increased the pain.

Moments before the big fall.


The Start
 

The Black Fork Gravel Grind starts out at the Mohican Wilderness (same place as Mohican 100 Aid Station 4.5) with an easy 1 mile on a gravel road before the first climb on Valley Stream Rd. its a long step climb with some pitches at 20%. 

Valley Stream
 


This is where my day went from bad to worse. I felt a pop in my seat on the climb and my saddle started to move around and I thought I had broken seat bolt. I made it to the top of the climb and found out my seat rail had broken and popped out of the top.  I smacked it back in place which seemed to work for about a quarter mile.  The heavy rains and lightning which we had hoped would hold off until later had just started.  I stopped again and grabbed my multi-tool and tried to loosen and retighten a few screws on the bottom.  My tool only had a slotted and not Phillip's bit. I tried to pound the seat back in place but it still kept flopping around. A little bit up the road I saw fellow PCL Ohio Chapter member and asked to borrow his Phillip's screwdriver.  That fix lasted about another quarter mile. Bombing down the hills gravel roads at 30+ mph with a saddle that's flopping around is not very fun.

Paul and I road together since miserly loves company. We got to the bottom of Bill Hill Road about 5 miles in and I had debated about dropping out.

Busting out the walk on Bill Hill Rd.

 
 
 

We started riding down Beam in a heavy downpour and neither one of had brakes that seemed to work. Sprained ankle, broken seat, no brakes and we were only 8 miles into a 48 mile race.  We got back to Wally Rd and I decided it would be best to drop out.
 
 
 


 
We road the 2 miles back to the start to let them know we had dropped out.  The good news is were the first of many DNF's for the day.
Paul with a much "earned" beer
 
Not a fun way to ride
 
 
 
 



That night my ankle was swollen and black and blue.  I had done RICE and was off the bike for 3 weeks.  A month after I had hurt my ankle its still slightly swollen and sore. I can at least ride without pain now, although it has a constant dull ache.  Occasionally it does feel like someone is driving a large nail into my ankle.  I would like to thank Hammer Nutrition for supporting me, and Jay and Matt for putting on a great event.

Next race Funk Bottoms Gravel on June 24th.

No comments: