Friday, October 14, 2016

2016 Akron Half Marathon

 

2016 Akron Half Marathon Finish
 
This has been a very difficult year in training for me.  I started out the year with a separated Shoulder and have been spending most of my time helping taking care of a family member with cancer.  To top if off in August I went to the ER for having chest pains. The good news is after several test the doctors were unable to determine the cause of my chest pains and I have been cleared to exercise again.
 
I spent the 7 weeks prior to the race not running or cycling just walking a few days a week.  For those of you who recall my 12 Week Marathon Training Plan I present my 12 Week Half Marathon Training Plan.
 
 
I knew going in that my time would be my slowest Half Marathon but I was very happy to be able to run again.  I was going stir crazy sitting around doing nothing.
 
 
 
On my way to the race I drank a bottle of Hammer Nutrition Lemon-Lime HEED since it was a relatively warm 66 degrees at 5:00 in the morning.  My fueling plan for the day was to follow what always works for me in training and racing.  I carried a bottle of Lemon-Lime HEED and Orange-Vanilla Perpetuem. I also carried several Endurolytes to prevents cramps and Hammer Gels.  My plan was to take Endurolyets and Gel once an hour. As usual I carried several extra Gels to share with my fellow runners. Around mile 11 I gave 2 Hammer Gels to Helen McWilliams who set the Guiness World Record for fastest marathon dressed as a chef.  She had complete chef outfit on and Carried a 3 kilo stock pot.




I started out the race slow and felt good and was surprised to see I ran negative splits with my fastest mile at 11-12. Considering I did not train the way I should I was very pleased with my time of 2:18:37.



No comments: