Wednesday, May 04, 2016

2016 Black Fork Gravel Grind

Saturday April 30th was the first year for the Black Fork Gravel Grind a 30 mile "race" in Loudonville, OH. At the start they said it was not a race. When you have 120 cyclist doing a mass start on a challenging course with a 12 pack of Four Stings on the line for the first finisher, it quickly turns into a race. I was originally going to pass on doing the race as I had not been doing much training.  I was suffering from heart arrhythmia and was just cleared by my cardiologist to begin training only two weeks ago.  Fellow 765 Racing team member Paul was unable to race and was able to transfer his entry to me.

Photo: Matt Simpson

Photo: Matt Simpson
 
 
The Black Fork was a short 30 mile race with roads that I was very familiar with.  Since I'm used to doing much longer races than 30 miles I knew there would be a fast pace from the start. Several of the roads have been on previous editions of the Funk Bottoms Gravel race. The first mile everyone stayed together on Wally Rd and when we made a left up the first climb on Valley Steam Rd several rides dropped back and a few took off. The roads continued to be big climb followed by fast descents with only a short break on the flats or asphalt before the climbing continued.
 
 
Photo: Matt Simpson
 
Photo: Matt Simpson

Photo: Katie Eno

Photo: Katie Eno
 
My Fueling plan would be to use Hammer Nutrition products that I use during all of my training and in racing.  I carried my usual mix of Perpetuem and HEED in my bottles. Around the half way point we came to a easy road section and it seemed like a good time to slow down switch out gloves and grab a Hammer Gel.
 
Photo: Katie Eno
 
 





I would end up about 2 minute back from the winner and finished in second place. I was hoping for a top 20 and was very pleased with my finish. Thanks again to Hammer Nutrition for the continued support.

Photo: Matt Simpson

No comments: