Monday, July 03, 2006

Sunday from Hell

Sunday I was able to get a ride in at West Branch even though there was a conflict of interest in the Bigring house. I wanted to ride my bike, and the Mrs. Bigring wanted to have a picnic with the kids and take the kids fishing. I came up with a foolproof plan that was a win-win for everyone. I was going to get a ride to WB with Dirt Diggler and Potenza while Mrs. Bigring would leave with the kids a few hours later.

The day started out bad when I woke up late at 8:30 when Dirt Diggler called and said he was on his way over and I was still sleeping. No problem, he would pick up the hairy Italian first. I had about 30 minutes to have the morning constitutional get my stuff packed and get the bike ready. I gathered up my clothes no problem, get the dump out of the way proceed to the garage to get my mountain bike the back tire is flat. Pump up the tire quick since all it looked like is that the kids playing in the garage let the air out of my tire again. I’m not sure how they have come to finding letting the air out of my bike tires entertaining. Go in the house to fill up my camelback come back outside the tire is flat again. Pumped up 3 inner tubes before I could find one that did not have a hole in it already. Once I found a tube that would hold air did the quick change and the bike was good to go. Go grab the bladder for my camelback, which by now is in a puddle of water because it has a leak. Rummage trough my junk pile to find a spare bladder that has not been cleaned in about 2 years. Quick rinse fill with water everything is good to go now.

Even though I had not been on the trails in a while I rode OK. I was riding in the front of a group of about 6 riders when we got to a log pile the rider behind says “Up and over” my response was “Off and walk”. Apparently he was not familiar with the Mr. Bigring motto of “Never be afraid to bust out the walk” My seat rail broke about half way into the ride. Luckily the broken seat never affected my busting out the walk. Trail riding is a much more fun than riding on the road. My big problem is time, if there usually is only a 2 hour time window to get a ride in and it takes an hour to get to the trail that leaves no time to ride.

Get done with the ride called the wife she was about 15 minutes away the plan was working out just as planned. We drive over by the beach to have our picnic the wind is blowing so hard our food kept falling off the table. I get the fishing rods for the kid’s fish for about 10 minutes when it starts pouring rain. So the master plan did not go as planned, it would have worked out if the weather cooperated.

No comments: